LOCAL CENTRE GUIDELINES FOR APPEAL / FEEDBACK
We are fully aware that there will be times when it is necessary to contact us in relation to a recent exam experience, or to appeal an exam result. If you wish to do so, two separate procedures are available; the following guidelines explain each of these procedures.
- General Complaints / Feedback: If you wish to draw our attention to circumstances surrounding the day of the exam, it is important that we receive this information as soon as possible and no later than seven days after the exam has taken place. We take this feedback very seriously; it is logged, acknowledged in writing, and fully investigated in the interests of improving our service moving forward. There is no cost involved in this course of action.
- Formal Appeal: There will be a fee of €10 for each candidate; if the appeal is upheld, the fee will be reimbursed. In this case, the Senior Examiner will carry out a thorough investigation in relation to your concerns. Appeals must be submitted within twenty-one days of receipt of the results through completion of the form below (scanned copies of the documentation may be attached to email submission). Appeals concern dissatisfaction with the marks / remarks awarded. This investigation will include:
- a statistical analysis of the candidate’s previous results
- a statistical analysis of the examiner’s work
- an analysis of any similar concerns received about the examiner in question
- consideration by the Senior Examiner of the details given on the appeal form
In order to provide us with the information we need, please fill out all sections of the form and return it to us with copies of the relevant result sheet(s).
Appeal Fee: A charge of €10 per candidate is required at the time of appeal. This money will be refunded, should the original result be overturned. Applicants can pay by cheque, postal order or online at https://www.riam.ie/payment/
Please send correspondence to:
Email: Lorna Horan, Chair Senior Examiners
Senior Examiner – Appeals
Local Centre Exams
Royal Irish Academy of Music
36 – 38 Westland Row