Recital Artist Diploma Admission Criteria
Admissions to the Recital Artist Diploma Programme at The Royal Irish Academy of Music will be administered through direct application to the RIAM. The closing date for applications is December 1st.
Qualifications or equivalent
There are no mandatory age requirements.
Applicants should normally have attained a 2:1 in an undergraduate degree in music/music performance. In exceptional circumstances candidates without such qualifications will be considered*
* Where a student has not attained the required audition requirements, he/she may apply with a recommendation from his/her teacher.
Competence in the English language
All classes/lectures/seminars are conducted through English. Students whose first language is not English and who have not been educated through the medium of English must present one of the following qualifications in the English language:
Examination Minimum Level Required
Irish Leaving Certificate Grade D3 or better in Ordinary level English
GCSE Grade C or better in English Language
US High School Grade C in English taken in final year
TOEFL 173 – computer-based
500 – Paper based
61 – internet-based
Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English Grade A
Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English Grade C
IELTS (Academic Version ) 5.5 (no individual band below 5)
Pearson Test of English (Academic) PTE Academic: a minimum of 63 (with no section score below 59)
Examination results for tests 4-8 above are only valid for 2 years
All prospective applicants must submit online by 1st December the following documents:
- A completed application form
- The relevant non-refundable application fee
- A copy of applicant’s birth certificate
- A detailed Curriculum Vitae which should include details of your performing career to date g. Concerts, Recitals, Feiseanna, Broadcasts, Orchestral/Chamber Music/Ensemble experience etc., as well as your examination record and any other information you would consider helpful to your application
- Written recommendations from one musician, who may be the applicant’s teacher, confirming the suitability of the applicant for the course.
- Applicants may submit an unedited DVD of a recent performance [optional]
- A personal statement may be includ Applicants may choose to indicate why they wish to undertake the Recital Artist Diploma, what they hope to achieve and why they specifically wish to study at the Royal Irish Academy of Music
Short-listed applicants will be notified of the day and time of their audition and interview.