Choral Conducting Today
This fortnightly course is intended for conductors and choir leaders at all stages of their development.
Using a "mind, body, spirit, voice" approach, conductors will develop a range of competencies to ensure success when leading choirs of all ages, abilities and types (school, community, youth, church). The various sessions will address topics such as conductor as animateur, score study and how it prepares us, the relationship of gesture to sound, reflective practice for conductors, and how to be a vocal model.
To facilitate "learning by doing", participants will act as choir-in-residence for the course duration, and the course content will be designed specifically to meet participants' needs.
6 x fortnightly sessions with 5 reflective weeks in-between
1st session: Sunday 25th September 2.00 – 5.00 PM
2nd session: Sunday 9th October: 2.00 – 5.00 PM
3rd session: Sunday 23th October: 2.00 – 5.00 PM
4th session: Sunday 6th November: 2.00 – 5.00 PM
5th session: Sunday 20th November: 2.00 – 5.00 PM
6th session: Sunday 4th December: 2.00 – 5.00 PM
(The above sessions are 2.5 hours each plus break times)
Participants will learn:
- to curate and create a path for successful communication and connection through conducting gesture
- the foundational importance of breath
- how to study and mark a score to aid embodiment
- to create lesson plans, warm-ups and gestures directly related to the score
- to build non-verbal communication skills that allows participants to be the conductor and listener their singers so richly deserve
Ability: No pre-requisite but currently engaged with a choir (either online or in person) or willing to organise a group of singers to work with
Age: 18 +
Technology: PC or laptop, internet (to access course content on Moodle)